You are welcome to the Faculty of Law, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria situate at the Institute of Administration, Kongo Campus. It is one of the twelve faculties in the University, with four departments namely: Commercial Law, Islamic Law, Private Law and Public Law. It has over 50 academic staff, and out of this number, there are fifteen Professors, six Readers, Eight Senior Lecturers and the remaining consisting of Lecturer I, Lecturer II and Assistant Lecturers.
The Faculty is a very special and conducive place to pursue a legal education because of its exceptional legal training, remarkable students and incomparable location. Throughout its storied history, the Faculty has remained committed to the pursuit of excellence and its command of academic vitality, and providing a nurturing environment for Nigeria’s legal talent to blossom: a “cradle of Nigeria’s legal talent" as reflected in the number of its alumni as Justices, Judges, Governors, Politicians and Senior Advocates of Nigeria (SANS) etc. The present Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Mahmud Mohammed is one of such alumni.
The Faculty of law is distinctive, thanks to:
- A curriculum that provides students with the critical foundation in Law, and also encompasses emerging issues in critical areas such as environment, health, intellectual property law, energy law, Islamic Law etc.
- Facilities featuring classrooms, theatres, modern moot court room, and extra-ordinary spaces for studying and building community.
- A wide array of clinical and probono programmes that encourage students to obtain hand-on experience and represent clients, under the supervision of experienced lawyers.
- A robust and timely postgraduate programmes – postgraduate diplomas, masters programme (M.A. and LL.M), MPhil and PhD.
- Over seven outlets for publishing peer review journal articles annually.
The Faculty attracts more students than any other Faculty of Law in Nigeria. We will continue to train students to find enviable places in the world market and in industries both locally and internationally.
Best wishes in your educational pursuits.
Dr Abubakar Muhammad Madaki
Mission and Vision
To advance the frontiers of learning and break new grounds through teaching, research and the dissemination of knowledge of the highest quality; to establish and foster national and international integration, development and promotion of African traditions and cultures; to produce high-level human power and enhance capacity building through retraining, in order to meet the needs and challenges of the catchment area, Nigeria and the rest of world.
Ahmadu Bello University shall be a world-class University comparable to any other, engaged in imparting contemporary knowledge, using high quality facilities and multi-disciplinary approaches, to men and women of all races as well as generating new ideas and intellectual practices relevant to the needs of its immediate community, Nigeria and the World at large.