A.B.U. Zaria Law Clinic is a University based law clinic that allows law students under the supervision of qualified lawyers to provide free legal services and access to justice for the under-served members of the public.
The clinic performs the following functions:
- Visit prisons and other detention centres and interview awaiting trial detainees to provide them access to justice.
- Contact families, relatives and friends of the detainees to inform them of the location and situation of such detainees.
- Facilitate application for bail of detainees at the police stations and courts.
- Secure legal representation for the detainees/defendants etc from probono lawyers; and referrals to the Legal Aid Council and NGOs.
- Facilitate and follow up with prison officials and other agents of state to ensure detainees appearance in court.
- Advocate Criminal Justice and prison reforms and better treatment and attention for awaiting trial detainees.
The clinic is being supervised by the Network of University Legal Aid Institutions Nigeria, Abuja. The Faculty have been participating on clinical programmes of NULAI since its inception in 2003. The clinic was recently renovated and equipped by Legal Aid Council (Access to Justice for the Poor Project), funded by Japanese Social Development Fund and Administered by World Bank.
It is located at the 2nd floor of the Faculty of Law Building. The membership is open to all Law Students.
Equipments in the Law Clinic
The equipments in the digital centre include:
- Full Network equipments
- Patch Panel